Raw Tamarind ( Chinthakaya ) pachadi is sour taste.. This is a very traditional, authentic pachadi which mainly belongs to Southern Andhra.. My MIL is here and taught me this unique, tasty and interesting pachadi. She brought chintakayalu and we mainly use it for chintakai pappu charu n pulihora too. I am sure you will also try this pachadi for its taste!
- Raw tamarind - 2 cups
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup chopped
- Green chillies -4
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Garlic Pods - 2
- Curry Leaves - 1 or 2 strands
- Salt - to taste
- Oil -1 tsp
- Wash the raw tamarind and make it dry. Clean with dry cotton cloth to absorb excess water and deseed, cut into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add green chillies, chopped coriander leaves and saute till raw smell leaves.
- In a blender add raw tamarind pieces, green chillies, coriander leaves and fenugreek seeds and grind them together until medium coarse texture.
- Now open the lid and add salt. Mix it well & set aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, pop the mustard seeds, then add curry leaves, chana dal, urad dal, garlic, cumin seeds & let it splutter. Add turmeric powder & mix well.
- Add the ground fresh raw tamarind chutney. Saute again for 5 mins n adjust salt & mix well. Switch off the flame.
Serve hot with steamed rice and sambar or with rava idli and paper dosa... :)
- While grinding, add water if required to get the desired consistency and mix well.
- Salt has to be mixed, only then the tamarind extract gets that typical taste.
- Use coriander leaves with stems for a nice texture and taste. However,
make sure that stems are cleaned properly and do not have any dirt on
And if you try any recipe from my space, please feel free to share your feedback & comments. If possible take a picture of that dish and email to the firstname.lastname@example.org I will publish your pictures in Sreshta's Kitchen Facebook page You can find similar pictures published in Sreshta's Kitchen Facebook Page under the Album - Recipes Tried by Readers. Thanks !