Vakkaya dal rasam is famous recipe in coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh. My grandmother used to cook this vakkaya pappu charu. Yesterday while coming from office I have found these vakkayalu on road side and bought some. Immediately I called my grandmother and noted all the procedure of this recipe and today posted here.
Am fully satisfied with the taste and my little one had this rasam without complaining..
- Vakkayalu/Cranberries - 1cup
- Kandipappu (Toor Dal) - 1 cup
- Green Chillies - 3 or 4
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as per taste.
- Water - as required
- Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chillies - 2
- Garlic Pods - 3 or 4
- Curry Leaves - a spring
- Oil - 2tsp
- Wash cranberries and cut them into quarters lengthwise, deseed.
- Pressure cook toor dal for 3 to 4 whistles until mushy, mash it well with a laddle.
- Add the cranberries,green chillies along with turmeric,salt and water to cooked toor dal and cook for 3 to 4 minutes till the cranberries gets cooked, you can see its turning transparent after getting cooked, at this stage switch off the flame and set aside.
- Then heat a pan with 2tsp of oil then add the items listed under " to temper " let it splutter and then add this to cooked cranberries dal rasam.
The cranberries dal rasam is very tasty with hot rice...