As always my focus is on my fussy kid, who do not like ragi in any form. The benefits of Ragi(Finger Millets) are never ending by adding extra nuts and several cereals which are dried and powdered. It makes as a perfect recipe to all the nutritional requirements. Kids should be made to take ragi drinks/snacks which is available from an early age before they are introduced to bakery food.. Ragi is best food for weight control, diabetes and a cooling the body.It is rich in calcium & rich source of fiber and helps lower cholesterol level. Instead of popping a pill, you can as well substitute that with ragi kanji.
Ragi cherry is one of the best semi-solid foods that you give your kid before you get him/her used to solid food. As I did to my kid. It's the best baby food in India to make kids strong. Speak to your granny and am sure she will come up with more suggestions!
Then coming to peanuts, the most common ways of using peanuts in India is in the form of oil and as roasted snack.Peanuts are actually legumes.But since they have all the properties of nuts like almonds, cashew nuts, etc.,these are also included in the family of nuts. Peanuts contain anti-oxidants in high concentrations.These anti-oxidants become more active when peanuts are boiled.
I made this ragi peanut laddu with jaggery for the 1st time and turned out very tasty..Princy(my kid) never wants to eat peanuts so I decided to add peanut powder and make her to eat in this way..She enjoyed the laddus...
- Ragi flour / Finger millet flour - 2 cups
- Peanuts - 1 cup
- Grated Jaggery - 2.5 cups
- Ghee- 4 tbsps(2 for jaggery syrup+ 2 for rolling the balls)
- Green cardamoms - 4
- Heat a pan dry & roast the ragi flour till the raw smell goes away and you ger a nice aroma and set aside to cool.
- In a same pan dry roast the peanuts till they change the color.Cool them and remove the skin. Grind the roasted peanuts to a fine powder.
- Grind the cardamom pods to a fine powder.
- Melt jaggery in enough water and strain to remove impurities then keep it on a very low flame.
- Add 2tbsp of ghee to the syrup.
- Boil the syrup on a low flame till it reaches a soft ball consistency. This is the right consistency for better self life.
- Once the syrup is ready off the flame and add the ragi flour, peanut powder and cardamom powder little by little and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps. You have to be quick while mixing.
- Take a small portion of the mixture using the palm of your hands roll it firmly to make small balls. Finally, transfer them to an airtight container.
Ragi laddu with peanuts taste great.Notes:
- Make sure you jaggery does not have the taste of salt in it.
- The consistency of jaggery syrup is very important. With jaggery syrup laddus has reached a soft ball consistency.
- To check the consistency of jaggery syrup, keep water in a plate once the syrup thickens drop 1/4 tsp of syrup in the water. When a drop is poured it should not get dissolved, it should form a soft ball. This is the right consistency.
- Choose a heavy bottom narrow utensil to keep the mixture sticky and moist for longer while you roll the balls.
- Peanuts must be ground coarsely but not too smooth powder because amount of jaggery syrup will not be enough for binding.