Palkova/Velluli is my sis fav recipe..I named it Velluli because it seems like garlic shape..In telugu we call velluli.. This is very easy to prepare and needs very few ingredients but a bit time consuming.Though making Vellulis using mould is time consuming, but the final result looks wow... The mould I used is gifted by ammama on my B'day.. :) She gave a pack of moulds for different purposes. Love you ammama.. :) There are hardly any chances to go wrong with this very easy recipe. I made this palkova in microwave method and regular method. In this post you can find regular method. I'll post microwave method in coming week. Ok then move on to the recipe now.. :)
- Whole milk - 1litre
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Butter/Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel, add melted ghee,1 litre of milk and boil the milk in medium low flame.
- Keep stirring the milk from time to time. As the milk starts boiling, reduce the flame to low and stir continuously.Scrap the milk sticking to the sides of the pan with a ladle as you stir.
- Then add sugar and mix well. After few minutes, milks starts thickening and you will observe a slight color change of thickened milk.
- Reduce the flame and stir continuously until the desired consistency is attained (the point where the thickened milk leaves the surface of kadai and come together while stirring). Switch off the flame at this stage as shown in picture and let it cool. Once it cools it will thicken further.
- Take a lemon size ball, place it in mould and press on all the sides to get the striped impression. Then open carefully to take out the palkovas.
Delicious Palkova is ready...! Kids will love this sweet and enjoy the shape.. :)
- Use fresh milk. Full fat milk is preferable as it will take less time to condense.
- If you do not stir it continuously , there are chances of the milk getting burnt and your whole effort will go waste.
- You can adjust the sugar in this sweet according to your taste.The entire trick of making palkova lies in continuous stirring of milk. It takes quiet long time to prepare, lot of patience is required for the entire process.
- Once you add sugar, it will become a little watery. Keep stirring for some more time until it becomes thick.
- Grease ghee to the mould now and then when it starts sticking.